Catering for the health and care needs of our growing and aging population is a national priority, explains Kristian Hibberd, Communications Manager, Local Government Association.
Reforming our care and support system is vital for us to be able to meet this challenge. As the Care Bill makes its way through Parliament, the health and care sector is preparing to implement the care and support reforms.
The Department of Health has partnered with the Local Government Association (LGA) and the Association of Directors of Adult Social Services (ADASS) to deliver a programme of work to support this.
We have launched a website and monthly bulletin for everyone interested in, or responsible for, implementing the reforms. The site includes:
- information on the £2.7 million implementation fund to be invested across the nine regions
- a getting started guide for those responsible for implementation
- a set of “must knows” for councillors, chief executives and other senior managers
- a clause-by-clause analysis of the Care Bill
- guidance notes for the necessary IT investment, new technologies and information systems.
I would urge anyone with an interest in the reforms to engage with the website – you can post comments on every page – and subscribe to the bulletin by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.